Monday, June 8, 2015

A Movie a Day: Frances Ha

Five thoughts or less.






Day Ten: Frances Ha

Release Date: 2013
Run Time: 86 minutes
Starring: Greta Gerwig, Mickey Sumner


1. I love Noah Baumbach movies, but they either depress me or put me in a foul mood so I put this movie off. Glad I waited, because this came along at just the right time.
2. Greta Gerwig is great as usual. She has such a distinct way of interpreting characters, it's always a joy to watch her. Plus she co-wrote the script.
3. Frances is so awkward, it's kind of painful to watch in some scenes. The dinner scene is so hard to watch.
4. This is perhaps one of the greatest odes to friendship I've ever seen. It's so honest and heartfelt. The final exchange between Frances and Sophie brought tears to my eyes.
5. This is by far the cheeriest Noah Baumbach movie, and a very welcome surprise. I'm tempted to start it over and rewatch it right away.



Rating: 5 out of 5
RIYL: Noah Baumbach films, Whit Stillman films, French New Wave, Manhattan


No comments:

Post a Comment